If you own a UTE, you know that they are versatile vehicles that can serve various purposes. UTEs are great for transporting cargo, equipment, and people, making them a popular choice for tradies, farmers, and adventurers alike. However, when it comes to UTE accessories, one of the most common debates is whether to get a UTE canopy or a UTE tray. In this article, we will compare UTE canopies vs. UTE trays and help you decide which option is better for your needs.
A UTE canopy is a type of cover that is fitted onto the UTE tray. It is designed to provide protection to the cargo or equipment that is stored on the tray. UTE canopies are usually made of lightweight materials such as aluminum or fiberglass, and they come in various styles and designs to suit different UTE models.
Pros of UTE Canopies
- Protection from the elements: One of the primary benefits of UTE canopies is that they provide protection from the elements. Whether it’s rain, wind, or sun, a UTE canopy can keep your cargo or equipment safe and dry.
- Security: UTE canopies also offer added security as they can be locked to prevent theft or tampering. This is particularly useful for tradies who store expensive tools or equipment in their UTEs.
- Customizable: UTE canopies can be customized to suit different needs. For instance, you can add shelves, drawers, or racks to increase storage capacity.
Cons of UTE Canopies
- Limited height: UTE canopies have a limited height, which can be an issue when transporting tall items such as furniture or large equipment.
- Limited access: UTE canopies can also limit access to the UTE tray. If you need to load or unload items frequently, a UTE canopy may not be the best option.
- Added weight: UTE canopies can add weight to your UTE, which can affect fuel economy and overall performance.
A UTE tray, also known as a UTE bed, is the open area at the back of a UTE. UTE trays come in different sizes and materials, and they can be customized to suit various needs. UTE trays are ideal for transporting large or bulky items, such as building materials or furniture.
Pros of UTE Trays
- Versatility: UTE trays are versatile as they can accommodate different types of cargo and equipment. They are ideal for tradies who need to transport a variety of tools and materials.
- Easy access: UTE trays provide easy access to the cargo, which is particularly useful if you need to load or unload items frequently.
- Lighter weight: UTE trays are lighter than UTE canopies, which can improve fuel economy and overall performance.
Cons of UTE Trays
- No protection: Unlike UTE canopies, UTE trays do not provide any protection from the elements. If it rains or snows, your cargo or equipment will be exposed to the weather.
- No security: UTE trays also offer no security, which means that your cargo or equipment can be easily stolen or tampered with.
- Limited storage: UTE trays have limited storage capacity, which can be an issue if you need to transport a large amount of cargo or equipment.
Which is Better?
Both UTE canopies and UTE trays have their pros and cons, and the choice ultimately depends on your specific needs. If you need to transport cargo or equipment that requires protection from the elements, a UTE canopy may be the better option. On the other hand, if you need to transport large or bulky items frequently, a UTE tray may be the better option.
Consider the following factors when choosing between a UTE canopy and a UTE tray:
Frequency of use: If you use your UTE frequently to transport cargo or equipment, a UTE tray may be more practical as it provides easy access to the cargo. However, if you only use your UTE occasionally, a UTE canopy may offer better protection from the elements and security for your equipment.
Type of cargo: The type of cargo you transport also plays a crucial role in choosing between a UTE canopy and a UTE tray. If you need to transport valuable tools or equipment, a UTE canopy with lockable doors may provide better security. On the other hand, if you transport bulky items such as furniture, a UTE tray may be more suitable.
Budget: UTE canopies and UTE trays come in different sizes and materials, and they vary in price. Consider your budget before choosing between the two options. UTE canopies tend to be more expensive due to the added features such as lockable doors and customization options.
Personal preference: Ultimately, your personal preference will influence your choice between a UTE canopy and a UTE tray. Some people prefer the look of a UTE tray, while others prefer the added features of a UTE canopy.
In summary, UTE canopies and UTE trays are both great accessories for UTEs, but they serve different purposes. UTE canopies provide protection from the elements and security for your equipment, while UTE trays offer easy access and versatility for transporting large or bulky items. Consider your specific needs, cargo type, and budget before choosing between the two options. Ultimately, the choice comes down to personal preference and what works best for your situation.