The world of fashion is constantly evolving, with new designers and brands emerging all the time. While it can be overwhelming to keep up with the latest trends, there are some designers who have stood the test of time and have become household names. Here are the top 7 fashion designers you should know:
- Coco Chanel: Gabrielle Bonheur “Coco” Chanel was a French fashion designer who revolutionized the fashion industry with her simple, elegant designs. Born in 1883, she opened her first shop in Paris in 1909 and quickly gained a following among the wealthy and famous. Chanel’s signature style included suits and dresses made of jersey fabric, costume jewelry, and the little black dress. She was also the first designer to use the jersey fabric in women’s clothing, which was previously only used in men’s clothing.
- Yves Saint Laurent: Yves Henri Donat Mathieu-Saint-Laurent, known as Yves Saint Laurent, was a French fashion designer who, together with his partner Pierre Bergé, founded the fashion house Yves Saint Laurent in 1961. Saint Laurent was known for his haute couture designs, which were inspired by art and culture. He was the first designer to introduce the concept of luxury prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear clothing, which made high fashion accessible to a wider audience. Some of his most iconic designs include the safari jacket, the tuxedo suit for women, and the “smoking,” a formal black tuxedo jacket for women.
- Ralph Lauren: Ralph Lauren is an American fashion designer and business executive who is best known for his Polo Ralph Lauren clothing brand. Born Ralph Lifshitz in 1939, he changed his name to Ralph Lauren when he started his career in fashion in 1967. He is known for his preppy, classic style, and his brand includes a range of clothing, accessories, home decor, and fragrances.
- Donna Karan: Donna Karan is an American fashion designer and the founder of the Donna Karan New York fashion brand. She began her career as an assistant designer to Anne Klein in the 1970s, and she launched her own fashion line in 1984. Karan is known for her sleek, sophisticated designs and her use of comfortable, high-quality fabrics. She was also the first designer to introduce the concept of “seven easy pieces,” a capsule wardrobe of interchangeable items that could be mixed and matched to create a variety of looks.
- Giorgio Armani: Giorgio Armani is an Italian fashion designer and founder of the Armani fashion house. He began his career as a window dresser in a department store, and he launched his own fashion line in 1975. Armani is known for his clean, tailored lines and his use of high-quality materials. His brand includes a range of clothing, accessories, and home decor, and he has dressed some of the most famous celebrities in the world.
- Calvin Klein: Calvin Klein is an American fashion designer and founder of the Calvin Klein Inc. fashion brand. He began his career in the 1960s and quickly gained a reputation for his minimalist, modern designs. Klein is known for his casual, sporty style and his use of high-quality fabrics. His brand includes a range of clothing, accessories, and fragrances, and he has dressed some of the most famous celebrities in the world.
- Alexander McQueen: Alexander McQueen was a British fashion designer who was known for his avant-garde, edgy designs. He founded his own fashion house in 1992, and he quickly gained a reputation for his dark, romantic style.