Moving can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, but working with professional movers can make the process a lot smoother. However, it’s important to know what to do and what not to do when working with movers to ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible. Here are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind when working with movers.
- Do research different moving companies: Make sure to research different moving companies and read reviews before choosing one. This will help you find a reputable and reliable company that can handle your move.
- Do make a detailed inventory: Make a detailed inventory of all of your belongings before the movers arrive. This will help you keep track of your items and ensure that nothing gets lost or damaged during the move.
- Do pack your items properly: Make sure to pack your items properly, using appropriate packing materials such as bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and boxes of the right size.
- Do communicate with the movers: Communicate with the movers about your needs and any concerns you may have. This will help them understand how to best handle your move.
- Do be present during the move: Be present during the move to oversee the movers and to answer any questions they may have.
- Do get a written estimate: Make sure to get a written estimate from the moving company before the move. This will help you understand the costs involved and ensure that there are no surprise charges.
- Do make arrangements for your pets and plants: If you have pets or plants, make arrangements for them before the move. This could include arranging for a pet sitter or finding a temporary home for your plants.
- Do label your boxes: Label your boxes with the contents and the room they belong in. This will make it easier for the movers to place the boxes in the right room in your new home.
- Do take photographs of your furniture: Before the movers arrive, take photographs of your furniture. This will help you remember how it was arranged and will be useful if any damage occurs.
- Do provide the movers with a floor plan of your new home: Give the movers a floor plan of your new home so they can plan the best way to move your items.
- Don’t choose a moving company based on price alone: It’s important to choose a moving company based on more than just price. Make sure to research the company’s reputation and read reviews before making a decision.
- Don’t leave the movers to do everything: While the movers are there to handle the heavy lifting, you should still be involved in the process. Make sure to pack your items properly and be present during the move to ensure that everything goes smoothly.
- Don’t leave anything behind: Make sure to take everything with you, including small items and valuables. Leaving something behind can be a costly mistake.
- Don’t neglect to make a detailed inventory: A detailed inventory is important to keep track of your items and ensure that nothing gets lost or damaged during the move.
- Don’t forget to get insurance: Make sure to get insurance for your move to protect your belongings in case of any damage or loss.
- Don’t pack hazardous materials: Don’t pack any hazardous materials such as flammable liquids, chemicals or explosives. These items are not allowed to be transported by movers.
- Don’t leave items in drawers: Empty all drawers of your furniture before the movers arrive. This will prevent the drawers from getting damaged during the move.
- Don’t forget to disconnect appliances: Disconnect all appliances such as washing machines, dryers, and refrigerators before the movers arrive. This will make it easier for the movers to move these items.
- Don’t assume everything is covered by insurance: Understand what is covered by your insurance policy and what is not. Make sure to document any pre-existing damage on your items before the move.
- Don’t forget to tip the movers: If the movers do a good job, consider tipping them. The standard tip is around $20 per mover, but this can vary depending on the level of service provided.
Working with movers can make the moving process a lot easier, but it’s important to keep these dos and don’ts in mind. By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your move goes as smoothly as possible and that your belongings are protected.